"The Words" is a visually wonderful film that creates a superb atmosphere, but it utterly fails at the end.
I didn't know the plot, so I had no expectations from this movie. I only knew it had something to do with writing. And it is indeed about plagiarism and authenticity.
The film opens with Clay Hammond (Dennis Quaid) reading excerpts from his book of the same title. The book is about Rory Jansen (Bradley Cooper, trying to get loose from the sex symbol status) who finds a lost manuscript and passes it as its own. After being known in the literary world, he is being confronted by the real author, The Old Man (Jeremy Irons).
The soft tones and lighting create a dreamy world, accompanied by Hammond's baritone. The crossed stories aren't hard to follow: one guy can't get published, another loses his manuscript and the third can't get laid.
All in all, the movie is good for a dreamy, lazy and unpretentious Sunday, but you must know that the ending lacks imagination, it left me wondering how can one promote the idea of someone being so low in order not to realise that money and fame won't make it up to your consciousness, or to put it in another way, that besides money, you have to live, first of all, with yourself. Zoe Zaldana and Olivia Wilde I liked.

Sounds nice, i love Quaid. Endings are the hardest challenge for authors - forgive them! :)
AntwortenLöschenI have never heard before of "The Words", but the trailer looks pretty interesting. I really like this deep atmosphere the trailer conveys and the soundtrack is pretty good! When I was a child I always wanted to become a writer (which seemed to be more realistic than austronaut, archaeologist and opera singer) and somehow this dream is still within me. But - I know this is bad in a creative job - I lack the ideas. Writing is no problem, but coming up with an innovative idea and storyline is pretty hard. So I can understand the protagonist a little (as far as I can judge from the trailer) and I think I will watch this movie in the near future :)
AntwortenLöschen